Apple and Cheddar Panini with Onion Jam
- 8 slices country-style bread, each 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 8 Tbs. savory red onion jam
- 6 oz. (185 g) cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch (6-mm) slices
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
Preheat an electric panini press according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Brush one side of each bread slice with the olive oil. Lay the slices, oiled side down, on a clean work surface. Spread each slice with 1 Tbs. onion jam. Arrange the cheese on 4 of the bread slices, then top with the apple slices and thyme, dividing evenly. Top each with one of the remaining bread slices, oiled side up.
Place the sandwiches on the preheated panini press and close the lid. Cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half. Serve immediately. Serves 4.