Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped and 1/2 cup reserved for topping
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 16 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- about 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- about 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- about 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 all-beef hot dogs
- 8 soft hot dog buns
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Stir and cook until onions are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and garlic and use a wooden spoon to break the beef up as it cooks. Stir and sauté until the beef is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, honey, and spices. Stir and bring to a simmer. Taste and season with more salt and spice as desired. Allow to simmer down to your desired thickness.
- To assemble the chili dogs, boil hot dogs in simmer water until warmed through or place on grill. Place into soft hot dog buns. Top with a heaping spoonful of warm chili, top with lots of shredded cheese and chopped onions.
- Serve with Fritos and your favorite beverage.