Garlic & Pepper Venison Steak with Onion Sauce
- 1 (1 1/2 lb.) venison round steak
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. onions, thinly sliced and halved
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp safflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Place venison steak in a large glass baking dish. Combine 1 garlic clove and pepper. Rub each side of the steak with 1/2 the spice mixture. Sprinkle with onions and bay leaves. Pour wine over steaks. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove steak from marinade and reserve marinade. heat safflower oil in heavy skillet over medium heat. Add marinade and remaining 2 garlic cloves. Cook until onions are just tender and all of the liquid is absorbed, stiring frequently, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and cook 5 minutes. Add 1 tbsp red wine vinegar. Taste and add more vinegar if desired. Season onion marinade with salt and pepper. Remove the bay leaves.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat or preheat the broiler. Add the venison steak and cook to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from skillet. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut diagonally into thin slices. Serve immediately with onion marinade.