Glazed Marsala Carrots with Hazelnuts
This makes an elegant side dish for company and is easy enough to make when you want to serve something special on a weeknight. Marsala wine makes it so deliciously different and unlike any other carrot recipe you’ve tasted. —Barbara Morris, South Amboy, New Jersey
- 2 pounds fresh baby carrots
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place carrots and 1 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat; add shallots. Cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add wine, sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sugar is dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes. Return carrots to pan; stir to coat. Sprinkle with hazelnuts and, if desired, parsley.