Lake of the Woods Fishing Report | 4.15.19
- Walleye season is closed until the MN Fishing Opener, May 11th.
- The target now is pike and sturgeon.
- Pike are staging for the spawn and are open all year long.
- Back bays are just opening up and will be full of pike soon.
- A combo of big dead baits or slow rolling a spinnerbait, spoon or crankbait will be the go-to methods.
- LOW has a very strong population of trophy class pike over 40″ long.
- All pike 30-40″ must be returned with a 3 fish limit and one over 40″.
- The Big Fork and Little Fork river busted open mid-week last week, sending ice and muddy waters into the Rainy River.
- This slowed the walleye bite which had been excellent with many trophy fish.
- Sturgeon fishing remains good as they are bottom feeders and rely more on smell vs sight to feed.
- It’s prime time for sturgeon.
- Catch and release for sturgeon through April 23rd with the keep season starting April 24th.
- A few anglers were on the ice this past week.
- Some open water appearing in neck down areas and current areas.
- Resorts getting ready for May 11th opener.