Lake of the Woods Fishing Report | 4.22.19
- While walleye anglers are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener, May 11th, the target now is pike and sturgeon.
- Back bays are becoming ice-free and pike are staging for the spawn.
- Some pike in shallows and ditches.
- The pike season is open year round.
- LOW has a very strong population of trophy class pike over 40″ long.
- All pike 30-40″ must be returned with a 3 fish limit and one over 40″.
- Parts of the lake have big stretches of open water, spring is here!
- Sturgeon fishing remains good despite some spring dirty water.
- Sturgeon are bottom feeders and rely more on smell vs sight to feed.
- Most using a 3-4 ounce no roll sinker with an 18″ sturgeon rig.
- Some using a colored bead before 4/0 – 5/0 circle hook with a gob of crawlers, frozen emerald shiners or both.
- Local bait shops have rigs.
- Catch and release for sturgeon through April 23rd with the keep season starting April 24th.
- The angle has a combo of open water and rotten ice.
- After an ice fishing season with good numbers of walleyes in the area, resorts getting ready for May 11th opener.
A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available at www.LakeoftheWoodsMN.com/