Lake of the Woods Fishing Report | 4.8.2019
- Good walleye and pike reports for the first week of April.
- Most have put away their ice fishing gear and are focused on the open water and the great bite on the Rainy River.
- Back bays will be open soon and big pike will be the target.
- Walleyes open through April 14, pike season open continuous.
- An incredible week of open water walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.
- Boat ramps open from Baudette to Birchdale.
- Open water on the river in front of resorts at Wheeler’s Point– access predicted to open any day.
- Several big fish being caught.
- Jigging with a minnow or plastic working well.
- Some trolling crankbaits with success.
- Lots of sturgeon.
- Water clarity still good.
- Remember, catch and release only for walleyes through April 14.
- Catch and release for sturgeon through April 23rd with the keep season starting April 24th.
- A few anglers still ice fishing.
- Walleyes coming from 14-22′.
- Evening bite in MN on fire.
- Some big pike being caught as well.
- This time of year, call ahead to resort for daily info and ice conditions.
- Ice is deteriorating quickly.
A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available at www.LakeoftheWoodsMN.com/