Mom’s Swedish Rye Bread
- 3 c med rye flour
- 1/2 c dark molasses
- 1/4 c shortening
- 1 T salt
- 2 1/2 hot water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 4 c white flour
- Make sponge from 1 cup water, yeast, 1 TBS sugar, and 2 cups white flour; let stand.
- Mix remaining water, molasses and shortening.
- Add flour; mix well.
- Add sponge.
- Knead all together, about 10 minutes, with greased hands, as it’s sticky.
- Let rise until double or about 2 hours.
- Punch down; rise again.
- Shape into round or long loaves.
- Place in greased pans and rise 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.