- For the pickled onions (optional):
- 6 Tbs. (3 fl. oz./90 ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. (250 g) ground beef
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 8 oz. (250 g) pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- 1/3 cup (3 fl. oz./80 ml) pizza sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 2 Tbs. diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup (3/4 oz./20 g) sliced green onions
- 2 jalapeño chiles, thinly sliced into rings (optional)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) sour cream
To make the pickled onions, in a nonreactive bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Add the onion and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Position a rack in the lower third of an oven. Place a pizza stone on the rack and preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the ground beef and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cumin and chili powder, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a 10-by-14-inch (25-by-35-cm) rectangle. Transfer the dough to a floured pizza peel. Spread the pizza sauce evenly on the dough, leaving a 1-inch (2.5-cm) border uncovered. Top with the ground beef, tomato and green chiles and sprinkle with the cheese.
Using the pizza peel, transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone. Bake until the pizza crust is crispy and golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
Using the pizza peel, transfer the pizza to a cutting board. Sprinkle the pizza with the green onions, jalapeños and some of the pickled onions, and dollop with the sour cream. Cut into slices and serve warm. Makes one 10-by-14-inch (25-by-35-cm) pizza; serves 4.