One Dish Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Minced fresh mint, optional
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion, shallot and garlic over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain. Add tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Add sweet potato, broth, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and red pepper flakes; cook and stir until kale is wilted, about 2 minutes. Serve with avocado and if desired, mint.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth or water if necessary. Serve with avocado and, if desired, mint.