Green Chili Brunch Bake
It’s easy to make this ahead in a 13×9 inch pan. It’s filling, perfect for a crowd, and helps busy moms out. —Trista Thinnes, Fort Worth, Texas
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2-3/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain and set aside. Place bread cubes in a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese, mushrooms, green onions and cooked sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Test Kitchen tips
- Make this strata in muffin cups for individual servings perfect for a buffet.
- The center bakes up tender and moist while the top gets perfectly toasted.