Best Ever Tomato Soup
When getting ready to go ice fishing, try out this wholesome soup to warm the body.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- Optional: thinly sliced fresh basil leaves and grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven, heat oil, butter and pepper flakes over medium heat until butter is melted. Add carrots and onion; cook, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and dried basil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, to let flavors blend, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Using a blender, puree soup in batches until smooth. If desired, slowly stir in heavy cream, stirring continuously to incorporate; return to stove to heat through. Top servings with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese if desired.