- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine blueberries, lemon juice and lemon zest. In another bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add to berries; toss gently to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the pie dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add blueberry mixture. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Whisk egg and milk; brush over crust. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake until crust is golden brown and berries have burst, about 30-35 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack.