Corned Beef and Cabbage with Vegetables
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 4 pounds) with spice packet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-1/2 pounds small potatoes (10-15), peeled
- 8 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into wedges
- horseradish sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup peeled freshly grated horseradish
- MUSTARD SAUCE (OPTIONAL):
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place corn beef brisket, contents of seasoning packet, brown sugar and bay leaves in a large Dutch oven or stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, just until beef and vegetables are tender, 30-40 minutes. (If pot is full, remove potatoes and carrots before adding cabbage; reheat before serving.)
- Add cabbage to pot; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove vegetables and corned beef; keep warm.
- For horseradish sauce, strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; skim fat from reserved juices. Discard remaining juices. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup reserved juices. Stir in sugar, vinegar and horseradish; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened. If desired, thin with additional juices and season to taste with additional sugar, vinegar or horseradish. If desired, whisk mustard sauce ingredients until blended.
- Cut corn beef across the grain into slices. Serve with vegetables and sauce.