Duck with Orange Hazelnut Stuffing
- 2 domestic ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each) Could you use wild duck also?
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 4 cups coarse soft bread crumbs
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle the inside of ducks with salt; prick skin lightly several times, being careful not to cut into the meat. Rub skin grated orange zest and sprinkle with seasoned salt; set aside. Combine the first 15 stuffing ingredients; spoon into ducks. If desired, secure legs with baker’s twine.
- Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan; pour enough water below rack to thinly cover bottom of pan. Bake, uncovered, until a thermometer reads 180° in the thickest part of the thigh and 165° for stuffing, 2 to 2-1/2 hours, rotating pan halfway through and tenting with foil if needed to prevent overbrowning.
- For gravy, combine 3 tablespoons pan drippings, flour, salt and pepper in a saucepan; stir until smooth. Heat until bubbly, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add marmalade; stir until smooth.