Grandma’s Potato Salad
Whether it’s a family gathering or fishing at your favorite resort, serve your guests fresh walleye and this potato salad for a great end of summer meal.
- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes; cool completely.
- For the dressing, in the top of a double boiler or metal bowl over barely simmering water, heat 1 cup water, butter and vinegar until butter is melted. In a small bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir Miracle Whip into cooled dressing mixture; fold in whipped cream. Stir in onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- To serve, top with hard-boiled eggs; sprinkle with paprika.