Loaded Sweet Potato Fries
For the pickled onions:
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (4 fl. oz./125 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz./60 g) sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. whole black or pink peppercorns
For the air-fried chickpeas:
- 1 can (14 oz./470 g) chickpeas, drained, rinsed and dried
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 tsp. ground sumac
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 lb. (1 kg) sweet potatoes, cut into batons 1/2 inch (12 mm) thick
- Olive oil spray
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. (60 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbs. pepitas, toasted
- 1 jalapeño chile, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./125 g) sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
To make the pickled onions, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegars, sugar, salt and allspice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the onion and peppercorns. Transfer to a large jar and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to 2 weeks.
To make the air-fried chickpeas, preheat a Breville Smart Oven Air set to the “airfry” function to 450°F (230°C). In a bowl, combine the chickpeas and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat the chickpeas. Spread in an even layer in the airfry/dehydrate basket. Cook until the skin of the chickpeas has split and they are crisp and browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Lower the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C), leaving it set on the “airfry” function.
To make the sweet potato fries, in a small bowl, stir together the sumac, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Put the sweet potatoes in a large bowl and spray with generous amount of olive oil spray. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the sweet potatoes and toss to coat. Spread in an even layer in the airfry/dehydrate basket and airfry until the sweet potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, 15 to 20 minutes.
To assemble, place the romaine on a serving platter, and scatter the sweet potato fries on top, followed by the chickpeas. Sprinkle the feta, pepitas and jalapeño evenly on top, and add as many of the pickled onions as you like (you may have some left over). Dollop evenly with the sour cream, season with pepper and serve. Serves 4 to 6.