Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
It’s not too soon to think about Rhubarb coming up!!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/4-inch pieces)
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dough for double-crust pie
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Add fruit; toss to coat. Gently stir in the juice, marmalade if desired and orange zest. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in beyond rim of plate. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/4-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom crust; flute edge. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake until filling is bubbly and rhubarb is tender, 40-50 minutes. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator.
If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.