Spring Asparagus Tart
As spring arrives at Lake of the Woods, new greenery is poking its head through the earth. This is true of wild asparagus found in many ditches around the county. Go on an adventure and find treasures.
This lemony tart is loaded with fontina cheese and fresh asparagus. It’s a snap to make but looks really impressive. Be advised…your guests will be vying for the last tasty slice. —Heidi Meek, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add asparagus. Cook, covered, until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry sheet into a 16×12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a parchment-lined large baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups cheese over pastry to within 1/2-in. of edges. Place asparagus over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Mix remaining ingredients; drizzle over top. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
1 piece: 142 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.